Pittsburg is a town in the U.S. county of Contra Costa, California. It is an industrial suburb located on Suisun Bay’s southern shore in the San Francisco Bay Area’s East Bay region and is part of the Delta Sacramento–San Joaquin River area. The population at the 2010 U.S. Census was 63,264. In 1849, Colonel Jonathan D. Stevenson (from New York) purchased the Rancho Los Medanos land grant and set up a town he called New York of the Pacific. By 1850, this undertaking failed. With the discovery of coal in the nearby town of Nortonville, the site became a coaling port and took the name Black Diamond after the mining company that built the Black Diamond Coal Mining Railroad.
In 1910, with one foundry and a crew of 60 staff, Columbia Steel opened its California steel factory in Pittsburg. For the dredging, wood and shipping sectors, it produced steel castings. Columbia became a U.S. subsidiary in 1930. Company of steel. The plant continued to expand to a peak of 5,200 employees until the early 1950s. When its products ‘ markets collapsed. The parent firm had merged with the Korean Pohang Iron and Steel Company (rebuilt in 1986 as the USS Company). Together they have spent $450 million to turn the plant in Pittsburg into a contemporary flat-product factory, renamed USS-Posco.
The initial site faces the Sacramento / San Joaquin River Delta, reflecting its roots as a river port profound water channel. (State law[ Assembly Bill 2324] allowed the town to manage its own riverfront for business growth and subsequent port activities as of 1 January 2007). The town has grown inland to the south since the early 1900s, then spread east and west along State Route 4, now a freeway carrying resident commuters to work in the Bay-Oakland region of San Francisco. The former city of Cornwall, California has been absorbed in the process.
Located in the region, Camp Stoneman was a significant staging area during World War II and the Korean War for the U.S. Army.
The post office first opened as Black Diamond in 1868 and changed its name with the city’s in 1911. Many Sicilian fishermen from Isola delle Femmine near Palermo settled in what would become Pittsburg in the early 1900s.